Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 09:02 AM
Subject: Re: The New KVM Provisioning module

Hi Xianqing,
Sounds great.  I'd like to help with this too.  I like the idea about
making it generic.  Since libvirt supports a few different things, I
think a very generic module inheriting from
makes sense:
Package: VCL::Module::Provisioning::libvirt
File: /usr/local/vcl/lib/VCL/Module/Provisioning/

I'd create a Provisioning/libvirt subdirectory, and create .pm files
for each libvirt/VCL supported product:
Package: VCL::Module::Provisioning::libvirt::KVM
File: /usr/local/vcl/lib/VCL/Module/Provisioning/libvirt/

I agree to use the VMware module as an example though there will be a
difference in how your Perl package path is constructed and where the
files reside.  The main file should reside 1 directory
higher, directly under Provisioning.  When the new module
was created, the older module already resided in this
location.  We couldn't remove it at that time so I put a
directory lower to keep them straight.

There is a lot of code in the module that could be reused by
other modules.  I tried to break up the subroutines as much as
possible so that each one performs a single function.  Many of them
are not VMware-specific and could be moved up into so
that the code can be reused by and other provisioning

Submitting your code via Jira is the best way to get started.  We
already have issue VCL-339 for this.  Please be sure to submit your
code as an attached file to the issue, not copied/pasted to the

Also, 1 suggestion for anyone working on code.  Make sure you are
developing using a checked-out copy of trunk from Subversion and
perform a 'svn update' regularly.  Don't work off of the code in the
VCL 2.2.1 release because it is changing frequently.  It will also be
very easy to commit your code to trunk this way.