Mike,
Our approach to load balancing is to put all of our VMs inside a vCenter
cluster with dynamic resource scheduling enabled -- this allows vmware to move
VMs around to balance the load. We can then have an arbitrary number of
physical servers, but to the VCL it looks like a single vmhost. The downside of
this approach is that you need to purchase VMware's enterprise license. As
another precondition for this, your vmhosts can't use local storage for the
datastores: they must use a SAN. We also had to write our own provisioning
module to get this to work, but so far it is working very well.

Aaron Coburn
Systems Administrator and Programmer
Academic Technology Services, Amherst College
(413) 542-5451 acob...@amherst.edu