NCSU is seeing increasing interest in using VCL for day-to-day operational
IT tasks.  We are currently investigating the feasibility of using VCL to
manage some of the university's ERP infrastructure.  If things pan out, I
envision a future version of Apache VCL to include some seriously cool
configuration management features -- possibly some integration with Puppet,
Chef, etc.

The current version (2.2.1) and the upcoming 2.3 already include
functionality beyond HPC and VDI applications.  One example... in the past
year, NCSU has used VCL to migrate the data in our legacy campus-wide
Groupwise email system to Google.  We were supplied with a utility to
migrate accounts and data from Groupwise to Google.  Running this
utility to migrate all of the data on a single computer or even a small
farm of servers would have taken several months if not years.  Turns out
the main limiting factor was a throttle imposed by Google per IP address
for the computers doing the migration.  Using VCL, we created an image
containing the utility and were able to easily load it on as many VMs as we
needed.  We loaded up approximately 60 VMs to perform the migration, let it
run, and completed the migration in a fraction of the time it would have
taken otherwise.  Since we usually run the most current code available in
production, we used the new server request feature in 2.3 to make the
reservations though normal reservations would have also worked.

Another project involves using Elluminate Live software (recently bought
out by blackboard).  The software has a manager node and 1 or more server
nodes.  We created a VCL image for the manager and one for the server.  The
manager is loaded as a very long-term reservation.  I wrote a daemon in
Perl which runs on the manager.  It checks the number of upcoming sessions
that need to be hosted by the servers and uses the VCL XML-RPC API to
dynamically load additional servers as needed.  It also ends server
reservations when demand is reduced.

Hope this helps,
Andy