Andy mentioned the VCL running Elluminate Live in one context - we also are
using the VCL with Elluminate in a Disaster Recovery mode in an interesting
way.

If the campus is closed for any reason [insert any disaster scenario here]
and it is desired to continue teaching face to face courses (which are the
majority of all of our courses) this can be done online.  That is, this can
be done online if we have a sufficient number of synchronous meeting
servers available (we've been using Elluminate, but it could be any such
software.)

How many servers? Dozens, hundreds? It makes no financial sense to buy and
install them and keep them there "just in case". Here's where the VCL can
take over and handle this - with one image of the server software in
storage. When required, it can be loaded on any number of servers and the
instructors and students can all be online from home and the courses
continue.

Of course, this use would displace some other uses - and that has to be
arranged - but most of the student use for homework and projects is
somewhat flexible - and likely can be displaced into the 10pm-10am lower
use half of the day. The degree to which some uses are displaced to make
place for others is a policy issue, and the VCL can be used for this.

--henry