I believe I've found another reason to cut RC2:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-vcl-commits/201205.mbox/%3c20120522134739.589bc2388...@eris.apache.org%3E

It looks like when updating the version numbers a find/replace of 1.00 with
2.3 was done, but without the period escaped, thus matching a number of
unintended targets (e.g. in VMware.pm e1000 was replaced with e2.3 in the
NIC configuration).

Cameron