From the VLC office hours on Tuesday past, I promised to follow up on problem I experienced with New Reservation when I'd ENDed a prior reservation.

DISCLAIMER - this was my experience here at GSU, your experience may be different.

SCENARIO 1:
a) My VCL Matlab session comes to 10 minute warning.
b) I stop Matlab, logged off, and then END Current reservation (which still has not reached end time). NOTE: assume I can not extend past our limit. c) I immediately request NEW (NOW) reservation; message indicates "Estimated Load Time < 7 minutes." d) I back off and wait 2 minutes; retry NEW reservation, still "Estimated Load Time < 7 minutes..." e) I back off for 5 minutes and when I select NOW reservation, the create time shows "Estimated Load Time < 1 minute..." and reservation made in < 1!

SCENARIO 2:
I subsequently tested same scenario, but this time with a reservation that was ENDed but still had nearly 55 minutes remaining... and same result: if I wait 5+ minutes, the "Estimated Load Time < 1" (and the message appears to switch to "< 7 minutes" right at the 5 minute mark after ENDing a CURRENT reservation.)

SCENARIO 3:
And I then tested what happens if I just go ahead and immediately request the NOW reservation (after ENDing a CURRENT reservation) and ignore the "Estimated Load Time < 7 minutes...". The Pending window was open so I could see progress as shown following:

PENDING WINDOW SNAPSHOT AT 8:08
State Est/Act
Time Total
Time
confirming image exists(22) 0:04/0:07 0:07
starting load process(40) 0:06/8:01 8:08
transferring image files to host server(27) 4:15
creating configuration file(28) 0:02
starting virtual machine(48) 0:03
machine booting(46) 1:08
running post configuration(9) 0:44
resource ready(43) 0:00
adding user account(41) 0:18
ready for Connect(18) 0:00

PENDING WINDOW SNAPSHOT AT 8:23
State Est/Act
Time Total
Time
confirming image exists(22) 0:04/0:07 0:07
running post configuration(9) 0:50/8:16 8:23
resource ready(43) 0:00/0:26 8:49
adding user account(41) 0:18
ready for Connect(18) 0:00

PENDING WINDOW SNAPSHOT AT 9:09
State Est/Act
Time Total
Time
confirming image exists(22) 0:04/0:07 0:07
running post configuration(9) 0:50/8:16 8:23
resource ready(43) 0:00/0:45 9:08
adding user account(41) 0:18/0:01 9:09
ready for Connect(18) 0:00

PENDING WINDOW SNAPSHOT AT 9:12
State Est/Act
Time Total
Time
confirming image exists(22) 0:04/0:07 0:07
running post configuration(9) 0:55/8:16 8:23
resource ready(43) 0:00/0:45 9:08
ready for Connect(18) 0:00/0:04 9:12

As you see, the "starting load process" took 8:08 minutes to complete and image was ready only at 9:12.

Basically, if I END a reservation before its END time, I should wait 5 minutes before requesting NEW reservation. ---> I don't need MATLAB to see that (wait 5 minutes + less than 1 minute for NEW image) IS LESS THAN (don't wait + 9:12 minutes)!

Whether that argues for a forced wait time in the code (if user has ENDed reservation, enforce 5 minute wait before allowing NEW request), I leave to others.

NOTE: Kelly R. advise if you've maybe already adjusted code here at GSU!

Later

Art

Art Vandenberg
Account Manager/Research Function
Customer Relations, IS&T
Information Systems & Technology
Georgia State University
avandenb...@gsu.edu
+1 404 413 4743
MS Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech
MVA Painting & Drawing, Georgia State
Web page: http://www.gsu.edu/ist/acs/25735.html