Currently the only cluster configuration that is done is a
cluster_info file is populated on each node (parent and children) with
the IP addresses and their level.
something like:

123.45.67.890=parent
123.45.67.891=child
123.45.67.892=child
etc

This cluster_info file is either in /etc for linux or C: for windows

So with that info an image creator can use that file from and init
scripts and start their cluster. We have several hadoop clusters here
at NCSU using this method, it's simple but seems to work well.

In the future we would be better served using configuration managers
like puppet, chef, bcfg2, etc. (We should put this on the roadmap.. :)
)

Hope this helps.
Aaron

--