From: Henry Schaffer [mailto:h...@ncsu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:46 AM
To: vcl-...@incubator.apache.org
Cc: vcl-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Other Uses for VCL

Andy mentioned the VCL running Elluminate Live in one context - we also are
using the VCL with Elluminate in a Disaster Recovery mode in an interesting way.

If the campus is closed for any reason [insert any disaster scenario here] and
it is desired to continue teaching face to face courses (which are the majority
of all of our courses) this can be done online.  That is, this can be done
online if we have a sufficient number of synchronous meeting servers available
(we've been using Elluminate, but it could be any such
software.)

How many servers? Dozens, hundreds? It makes no financial sense to buy and
install them and keep them there "just in case". Here's where the VCL can take
over and handle this - with one image of the server software in storage. When
required, it can be loaded on any number of servers and the instructors and
students can all be online from home and the courses continue.

Of course, this use would displace some other uses - and that has to be
arranged - but most of the student use for homework and projects is somewhat
flexible - and likely can be displaced into the 10pm-10am lower use half of the
day. The degree to which some uses are displaced to make place for others is a
policy issue, and the VCL can be used for this.

--henry