Michael,

You just highlighted a problem with our documentation.  We need to get rid of

the VCLDOCS site.  Due to some ASF restrictions on how official project

documentation is maintained, we tried having two wiki sites.  This has not

worked well and resulted in the VCLDOCS site being unmaintained.  We'll work

on removing that site.

The up to date documentation on creating a linux base image is here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/create-a-linux-base-image.html

Sorry for the confusion.

Josh

On Mon June 11 2012 7:50:11 PM Michael Jinks wrote:

> I have a pilot VCL setup with a VMware ESXi hypervisor.  The hypervisor

> mounts a read-only NFS export from the VCL management node as

> "nfs-repository".  Now I'm trying to stage and capture my first VM

> image.

> I've just finished creating a Linux system that I'd like to use as my

> template.  I'm following the instructions at:

>  https://cwiki.apache.org/VCLDOCS/create-a-linux-base-image.html

> I get confused at "Add a New Image to the VCL Database".

> Does the "Image ID" matter, or can I just enter any number there that I

> want, provided it isn't already listed as the image ID of another

> system?

> Does the image name correspond to the filename of the VM disk image on

> my NFS filesystem?  Or is it just a name?  If it's just a name, how do

> we associate the virtual disk image with the image record?  (I'm

> confused because the example "vmwarelinux-base8-v1" doesn't look like

> the name of a VMware virtual disk, but I don't know what else it could

> be.)

> The instructions say, "OS: Linux under VMWare - NOTE: If you are using

> something else, make sure you set OSid to correctly match the OS table."

> Where is that OS table?  Part of VMware, part of VCL, somewhere else...?

> The instructions don't say anything about how to stage the template

> image.  Should I just scp it to my VCL management node's NFS share?

> Finally, at the bottom of the instructions, we have "start vcld".  If

> vcld is already running, does it need to be restarted in order to notice

> the new image?  Or is that assuming that I don't already have a running

> vcl system?

Systems Programmer

Virtual Computing Lab (VCL)

North Carolina State University