On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:39, Adam Spiers <vcs-h...@adamspiers.org> wrote:

> Is your point that a bup remote is persistent (i.e. not lossy) but
> does not track history

It does track history, but not in a format that is immediately accessible.

> whereas a normal annex is the opposite - lossy
> (when an annexed file's contents change), but does track changes? Of
> course, a normal git commit provides both, but then typically that
> history is retained in any clone of the repository.

Correct.

> If I understand you correctly, it sounds useful to me.  Old data
> is... well, old data, and is usually only kept for historical purposes
> and/or safety.

Old data can be useful. Point in case, I may change GPS coordinates in
EXIF data and correct timestamps based on that info. Maybe I will even
correct white balance, etc. Still, I would want to keep full history
forever in _some_ repos. Basically my backup server and the main
desktop. All the rest would have up-to-date copies, only.

Richard