Answering this one as I think this answers Sean's as well.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:21, Adam Spiers <vcs-h...@adamspiers.org> wrote:

> What would be "special" about such a remote?

Like other special git-annex remotes, it would not be a real git-annex
repo. Same as git-annex is able to use and track data in S3, bup,
HTTP, using a real git repo as special remote may make sense.

> A git annex repo *is* a real git repo ... ? I think I must be
> missing your point.

Yes, but it uses symlinks that point to objects which are outside of
git (which is the point).

So, to summarize and avoid further confusion:

I think a persistent, archiving storage mode for git-annex which still
allows live access to data (as opposed to bup) would be a great
feature. As of right now, I can think of two ways to achieve this:

I) Introduce a special setting for git-annex to retain any and all data.

II) Use a git repo as a special remote. Said git repo would also
retain all data. No symlinks, plain repo.

The problem with II is that it may mess up history if stuff is pushed
in the wrong order, historically speaking.

--
Richard