Bugs item #3031623, was opened at 2010-07-19 10:08
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by flrichar
You can respond by visiting:

not just the latest update.
Category: vde_switch
Group: None

Initial Comment:
When I start vde_switch with the following parameters (as root), it doesn't

vde_switch -t tap22 -d -M /tmp/vde22.mgmt -g kvm

vde_switch: Could not chown socket '': No such file or directory
vde_switch: Could not remove ctl socket '/var/run/vde.ctl': No such file or

I'm running slackware64 13.1 and vde 2.3.   (Latest SVN).  If I create the dir
in an init script before it begins, it works correctly.  When I stop the
process, it removes the dir.  File permissions are fine.  If I designate the -s
parameter for socket, it is also ok (tested this as a normal user and

Date: 2010-07-20 09:31

Ok I've recompiled from svn (432) and although it works, it's not setting
permissions for my selected group (kvm).

In the init script in the source, there's this line:

   chmod -R a+rwx /var/run/vde.ctl

I changed it to

  chmod -R g+rwx /var/run/vde.ctl

And it works fine.  If I take that out, my user in the kvm group cannot
use the switch.  Should the vde_switch set perms (+rwx) for the group?

Comment By: Luca Bigliardi (shammash)
Date: 2010-07-20 07:17

please can you try with the latest svn?
I've just pushed a commit which should fix this regression.

Thank you,

Comment By: Fred Richards (flrichar)
Date: 2010-07-19 10:23

Ok this was fault.  Perms on the socket dir were *not* set correctly.  In
my example above, I created a "kvm" group for people who can use this
switch (and my normal user is in it).  The perms set by my init script were
entirely way too permissive.  I changed the perms and it works better now.

You can respond by visiting: