On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:17:58AM +0100, Ludovico Gardenghi wrote:

> AFAIK, at least for the "average Cisco switch" on which I have had some
> experience, the default behaviour is per-interface tail-drop. That is,
> each egress interface has a buffer. When it's full, new packets are
> dropped and there's no timeout -- enqueuing will happen again when some
> old packets are delivered. Alternatives are variants of RED/WRED
> algorithms, which start dropping random packets before the queue gets
> full, trying to address some issues of tail-dropping especially for TCP
> traffic (global synchronization is one of them).
>
> If you go up with the price (or to layer 3 switching) you get more
> refined QoS settings which are usually performed by the software (while
> the tail-drop queue is handled by the hardware), but I think they're out
> of scope here.

I agree. Let me add something about that.

Virtualizing a switch is a very hard task because real ones come with a
specific processing unit, with realtime capabilities and multiple cores,
dedicated (almost) 100% to the task. Said so, nowadays very fast switches
(>1GBit) use advanced QoS algorithms and shapers on the output queues to
cope with traffic overloads.

vde_l3 supports shapers in separate plugins, and there are already a drop
tail and a RED implemented as separate modules, don't know if they can be
useful. RED is very difficult to implement, so I had basically stolen that
from linux implementation ;).

Prettige dag

--
Daniele