I'll read all the discussion soon to reply deeply. But I noticed that
there is likely an error in packetq.
The code:
----------------------
remaining_nsecs = packetq_timeout_value.tv_nsec -
((this_try.tv_sec-last_try.tv_sec) * 1000000000 +
(this_try.tv_nsec-last_try.tv_nsec));
     if (remaining_nsecs <= 0) {
.
is likely wrong because packetq_timeout is not re-setted when
remaining_nsecs  is > 0. So the ppoll sleeps again for the entire
interval.

Am I wrong?

                       Simone