Hello,

I just made some quick test to compare the performance of the trunk
current vde_switch against the new one in the rd235 tree.

trunk:
Sent 500000 packets in 5 seconds, Bandwidth: 198 MB/s - out of order: 335,
lost: 539
Sent 500000 packets in 5 seconds, Bandwidth: 197 MB/s - out of order: 688,
lost: 909
Sent 500000 packets in 5 seconds, Bandwidth: 191 MB/s - out of order: 1071,
lost: 1487
Sent 500000 packets in 4 seconds, Bandwidth: 208 MB/s - out of order: 1407,
lost: 2155
Sent 500000 packets in 4 seconds, Bandwidth: 206 MB/s - out of order: 1717,
lost: 2693
Sent 500000 packets in 5 seconds, Bandwidth: 201 MB/s - out of order: 2088,
lost: 3225

branch:
Sent 500000 packets in 3 seconds, Bandwidth: 261 MB/s - out of order: 0,
lost: 104
Sent 500000 packets in 3 seconds, Bandwidth: 259 MB/s - out of order: 0,
lost: 160
Sent 500000 packets in 3 seconds, Bandwidth: 262 MB/s - out of order: 0,
lost: 298
Sent 500000 packets in 3 seconds, Bandwidth: 260 MB/s - out of order: 0,
lost: 375
Sent 500000 packets in 3 seconds, Bandwidth: 260 MB/s - out of order: 0,
lost: 448
Sent 500000 packets in 3 seconds, Bandwidth: 259 MB/s - out of order: 0,
lost: 516

As expected, out of order frames went away. Moreover, packet loss is almost
6 times lower, and bandwidth is increased of more than 25%. Also, I have
been using the "experimental" switch for a couple of weeks now, and noticed
no particular issue. I was trying to figure out if performance can get any
better, maybe introducing some per-port egres FIFOs to further decrease
packet loss, all due to write returning -EWOULDBLOCK.

Attached code (GPL2) is a small & simple broadcast frame based test tool
which Francesco Apollonio and I quickly coded in parallel while experimenting
gobby.

It  has also revealed some performance regression in my new wirefilter2
that I need to fix. :(

Greetings,

--
Daniele