Igor Nikanov wrote:
>> E.g. 8500-series seems very good alternative. Don't know whether there
>> is linux support for it yet.
>
> yes, as far as I understand this link
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91896
> there's linux drivers for this card, but the support of technology for h264
> acceleration - NVIDIA®
> PureVideo™ didn't include in it :(

Well, this is hardly news to me. None of these advanced features are
implemented in Linux drivers for some reason. Same goes for AMD/ATI.

I'm hoping that Intel makes an exception with their 3000 series. It may
not be fast in 3D but if they provide open source driver with
accelerated decoding of HD materian then I'll switch to Intel the
second. There should be either available or to become available also a
stand-alone card and not just a mboard with integrated solution (this
does not interest me due other reasons).

Br, Pasi