I know 720p, 1080p/i resolution are getting common which is fine.

>From the next feature thread I see there is some interest in H.264
channels :-)

I don't like the hardware decoder solution : Intel core duo 2 are really
cheap now and don't use that much power...

I built my VDR PC (in fact my only PC...) with such a solution (and a
fanless nvidia gfx card) and I find it perfectly suited for HD.
The most important part from my point of view was the case :

So that I don't have noise from the PC...

I think almost any PC with core duo 2 CPU are enough for perfect H.264

I don't really like closed hardware solution neither...
Grégoire FAVRE  http://gregoire.favre.googlepages.com  http://www.gnupg.org