before i start to suggest a patch for the current build system i would
like to discuss some issues that need addressing.

1. target version: i think it is best to wait for 1.7.0 before changing
the build process, because plugin Makefiles will most likly need
changes too.

2. which headers need exporting: should we simply copy all headers to
$(PREFIX)/include/vdr or only the ones that contain APIs for plugins?
what with the classes in libsi, can they be left out?

3. multiple versions: should we support multiple parallel installed
versions of vdr in the same prefix like "/usr/include/vdr-1.7"? at
least for non devel releases, that maintain a stable API over their
whole lifetime, this could be useful.

4. additional dependencies: as suggested by Ville Skyttä, we could use
pkg-config for finding external libs instead of guessing their
location. currently vdr will fail to build if freetype is installed for
example in /opt/lib. b.t.w.: this has nothing to do with the fakt that
freetype requires a "strange" way of including its headers. for now i
suggest the usage of `freetype-config --libs --cflags` to respekt some
peoples need to avoid installing pkg-config. this will also require
vdr to provide a vdr-config script instead of a vdr.pc file.

5. ...

i appreciate your feadback an suggestions.

clemens