Quick way to force vdr to use selected tuners is the -D option. For example, if you want it to use the 1ts and 3rd in a 3 tuner system:
-D 0 -D 3
Need all the spaces for it to work. Just add "-D x" for any tuner you want vdr to see. If you only have the plugin and the usb and only want vdr to use the usb, try "-D 1" likely the usb tuner is numbered after the slotted one.