Ideally, I'd like a way to "ask vdr" the status of the CAM from a script. I know this is available on the OSD by going into the "SETUP > CAM" menu where the CAM is displayed as "CAM Ready", "CAM Present" or "Alhpacrypt" but I need to do this outside the OSD.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

I'd like to write a plugin which can provide the displayed Setup>CAM status via an SVDRP command, and maybe check the CAM menu can be accessed.

As a beginner to such things, can someone help?

I want to use svdrpdemo as the starting point. What else do I need to include in this?
#include "menu.h"
#include "svdrpservice.h" (from femon plugin)
??

If I pull some of the following from menu.c I think this should give me what I want:

Get list of availablecams:
void cMenuCam::GenerateTitle(const char *s)
{
SetTitle(cString::sprintf("CAM %d - %s", camSlot->SlotNumber(), (s && *s) ? s : camSlot->GetCamName()));
}

Get the CAM status (being Ready, Present, -, or "Alphacrypt" etc:
bool cMenuSetupCAMItem::Changed(void)
{
 char buffer[32];
 const char *CamName = camSlot->GetCamName();
 if (!CamName) {
    switch (camSlot->ModuleStatus()) {
      case msReset:   CamName = tr("CAM reset"); break;
      case msPresent: CamName = tr("CAM present"); break;
      case msReady:   CamName = tr("CAM ready"); break;
      default:        CamName = "-"; break;
      }
    }
snprintf(buffer, sizeof(buffer), " %d %s", camSlot->SlotNumber(), CamName);
 if (strcmp(buffer, Text()) != 0) {
    SetText(buffer);
    return true;
    }