On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Tony Houghton <h...@realh.co.uk> wrote:
> I don't find VDR 1.6.0 very reliable and I'm wondering whether 1.7 is
> mature enough now to be worth setting up. At the moment I use Debian
> packages and although I have to recompile it to add the Freesat patch
> it's still a lot easier than gathering the bits and pieces and getting
> it to live nicely on my system. Any chance of a 1.8 release soon?

Most users will agree that VDR is very stable regardless of its
"stable" or "developer" status.  I have nearly no problems at all and
am running the latest developer version.  For that matter, I update to
every version that see's release.

I've never used debian package sources to compile from.  Instead, I
just grab all the sources I use from their respective host locations
and compile -- a process that's very easily scriptable (which is what
I've done).

I wouldn't hold my breath on VDR-1.8.0 being released soon.  And I
also wouldn't hold much value to it aside of being an announcement
because as previously mentioned, the current developer version works
great and is very stable for most users.

> I'd also be interested in the developer version of xine with VDPAU
> support. The trouble is there's a bewildering set of mercurial branches.
> There are some libxine2 packages in Debian experimental, but there don't
> seem to be any packages for "version 2" players, nor libxine2-dev
> packages (not to mention vdpau support) so I don't see what use they
> are.

You appear to want xine-lib-1.2, although I have no clue why you would
be confused about the trees.  To my knowledge, there is only one
available at: hg clone http://hg.debian.org/hg/xine-lib/xine-lib-1.2

It's simple to compile and again, something easily scriptable.  VDPAU
support in xine-lib-1.2 isn't flawless (depending on circumstances),
but it works great.  I'd definitely, and do, recommend it.

My advice would be you stop insisting on using debian sources for this
stuff.  Both VDR and xine-lib-1.2 are easily obtainable from their
original sources, compile easily, and no hassling with screwy debian
sources necessary.