Am Sonntag, den 11.09.2011, 13:49 +0200 schrieb Udo Richter <udo_rich...@gmx.de>:
There's currently no 'official' method to track down channels that
are no longer announced. There's a trick however: Modify your
channels.conf so that all channel names start with [outdated], then
start VDR and wait for a full transponder scan to finish. All existing channels will be renamed back to their proper names, and all remaining
[outdated] channels can be dropped after some grace period.

That sounds like a handy trick. I will try to use this as a workaround.

I use a more advanced variant using a small patch and a plugin, both
currently not publicly released: The patch tracks a 'last seen'
timestamp to all channels, where 0 means 'not seen since VDR start'. A
matching plugin holds a second channel list and periodically syncs
with the regular channel list, with the additional info 'first seen'
and 'last seen' tracked persistently across VDR sessions. Also, the
plugin renames channels that are gone for some time so they can be
identified and deleted.

That sounds *very* interesting to me. If I can assist you in going public with this patch + plugin, please let me know. I currently don't see a reason to reset the timestamp to zero on VDR start, but I probably just don't get your concept yet.

This has however two downsides: First, a VDR that hasn't been running
for some time will instantly mark all channels gone, and the same
thing happens if a source is temporarily unavailable - for me, DVB-T
is regularly not plugged, so all DVB-T channels are usually marked as
gone.

More examples: Multiswitch/DiSEqC/cable malfunction.

It would potentially be possible to check a list of channels that are considered to be outdated against a web service like Channelpedia (as long as it offers many concurrent users to send in their own channel list at the same time - and Channelpedia doesn't do that yet...).

Thanks!

Cheers,
Henning