Hi,

I have been investigating methods to view VDR recordings and live TV
when traveling, with an Android phone and possible Chromecast.

Here's some pros can cons of the different methods I have tried:

VDR Manager plugin + android app:
https://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/vdr-manager/wiki

  + Very clean app, great recordings and channel listings, easy to use.
  + Can also edit timers, use as remote control for VDR
  + DVB Subtitles work in both live and recordings!
  - Recordings can't be seeked, at least not with Android VLC! Very annoying..
  - No transcoding for recordings, so must have a quick connection
  - Also Live-TV is transcoding is only with Streamdev's externremux,
which is not very good.

Then there is Plex Media Server with VDR.bundle and plex-vdr-live-tv.bundle:
https://hub.docker.com/r/jondalar/plex/

  + Nice app, although a bit complex for just VDR use.
  + Plex has very good transcoding with automatic rate control, based
on your downlink speed
  + DVB subtitles work in recordings.
  + Recordings are seekable.
  + Plex is great for other media too, mp3 and movies etc
  - No DVB subtitles in live tv!
  - No other VDR control (timers)
  - No EPG, expect for current programs
  - Recordings are difficult to use, hard to find episodes of TV shows
in correct order..

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas where to go from here? :) Plex
stuff looks like it's not updated for years, but it also is something
I could perhaps improve myself. VDR Manager's biggest problem is the
lack of transcoding, but that would be very difficult to add.

--
Teemu Suikki
http://www.z-power.fi/