----- Original Message -----
> From: "Shu Ming" <shum...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> To: "Deepak C Shetty" <deepa...@linux.vnet.ibm.com>

The repo ID is meaningless, it's just a handle to the instance.
It's never persisted to disk and doesn't have to be unique across the cluster.
> Developer must maintain a a unique ID list for every storage
> repository
> connected.
Why? You could just use repoId =
<progname>_<hostname>_<data_center>_<domain_number>
"ovirt_example.com_hosting_3" as an example
If you agree with all other users of the same VDSM instance that you are going
to use this scheme you can cooperate.
You can use whatever scheme you want to make sure you don't hit anyone else's.
The point is, VDSM doesn't care how you provision repoIDs and how unique they
are across the cluster.
It's the user's choice how and if to persist this information.

> > IIUC, i can use options to do storage offloads ? For eg. I can
> > create
> > a LUN that represents this VD on my storage array based on the
> > 'options' parameter ? Is this the intended way to use 'options' ?

> >> No, the design is that volume dependencies are an implementation
> >> detail.
> >> There is no reason for you to know that an image is physically a
> >> snapshot of another.
> >> Logical snapshots, template information, and any other information
> >> can be set by the user by using the userData field available for
> >> every image.

> >> Yes, the main purpose is copying to another repo. and you can even
> >> do
> >> incremental backups.
> >> Also the following flow
> >> 1. Run a VM using imageA
> >> 2. write to disk
> >> 3. Stop VM
> >> 4. copy imageA to repoB
> >> 5. Run a VM using imageA again
> >> 6. Write to disk
> >> 7. Stop VM
> >> 8. Copy imageA again basing it of imageA_copy1 on repoB creating a
> >> diff on repo diff without snapshotting the original image.
> Do you mean the ID returned by copyImage() will be the same as the
> origin ID?  It is okay for copying to a different repository than the
> original repository because they have different namespace. However,
> if
> we do the copy inside in the same repository, we should get a new
> different ID.
As I said, copying immutable objects in the same repo doesn't work.