On 01/19/2014 11:49 PM, Yair Zaslavsky wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Itamar Heim" <ih...@redhat.com>
To: "Dan Kenigsberg" <dan...@redhat.com>
Cc: "engine-devel" <engine-de...@ovirt.org>, vdsm-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:20:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] Copy reviewer scores on trivial rebase/commit msg
changes

On 01/19/2014 02:48 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 01:48:52AM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
I'd like to enable these - comments welcome:

1. label.Label-Name.copyAllScoresOnTrivialRebase

If true, all scores for the label are copied forward when a new
patch set is uploaded that is a trivial rebase. A new patch set is
considered as trivial rebase if the commit message is the same as in
the previous patch set and if it has the same code delta as the
previous patch set. This is the case if the change was rebased onto
a different parent. This can be used to enable sticky approvals,
reducing turn-around for trivial rebases prior to submitting a
change. Defaults to false.

2. label.Label-Name.copyAllScoresIfNoCodeChange

If true, all scores for the label are copied forward when a new
patch set is uploaded that has the same parent commit as the
previous patch set and the same code delta as the previous patch
set. This means only the commit message is different. This can be
used to enable sticky approvals on labels that only depend on the
code, reducing turn-around if only the commit message is changed
prior to submitting a change. Defaults to false.

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-labels.html

I think that the time saved by these copying is worth the dangers.

But is there a way to tell a human ack from an ack auto-copied by these
options? It's not so fair to blame X for "X approved this patch" when he
only approved a very similar version thereof.

I think the ideas are good, regarding a way to mark if this is "human ack" or
not - can the process of copying post a comment that copying occurred?

we'll see when enabled it. I plan to do that tuesday if no strong objections will arise.

we'll find out when we enable it.

Assuming that a clean rebase can do no wrong is sometimes wrong
(a recent example is detailed by Nir's http://gerrit.ovirt.org/21649/ )

of course it can do wrong, but that's the exception usually.