Marshall Schor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi,

hm. It should be possible to do some ant magic to have a "docbook
generation environment" that can be shared all over projects and is
static (containing libs, transformer zip's etc.) and just have the src
tree outside it. However that would in its current state require the
user to download two trees (one with the environment, one with the
actual docbook sources), probably set an environment variable or
property to find the tree and then convert it.

Will think about this some more. Might even be easily doable.

        Best regards
                Henning

>Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> Marshall Schor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> Hi Marshall,
>>
>> let's see if I got your questions right.
>>
>> First thing is, how to integrate the docbook environment in your
>> project so that you don't duplicate libraries etc.
>>
>> Well, I wouldn't.
>Hi Henning -
>You make a good point.  Let's assume the particular jars, zip-files of
>docbook transforms, etc., are not
>integrated into my project, but rather are kept in the lib/ directory of
>my special docbook project.

>Now suppose producing docbooks this way becomes popular with other
>Apache projects
>(as xdoc has) and rather than being just 1, there are many projects in
>Apache using this.

>Is there a way Apache shares the sharable parts of all these doc books
>in many projects
>(for example, the FOP jars, the docbook xsl transforms, etc.) that would
>be the same
>for all of these, or is it a better practice to have every one of these
>projects have their own
>copy of all of this?

>If this did exist - I suppose it would consist of some kind of a shared
>repository of
>tools found useful in Apache project maintenance, and a way to have the
>Ant scripts
>reference such a repository of shared objects (not just JARs, but also other
>resources like docbook XSL Transforms).

>That was what my question was trying to get at...

>Thanks for the rest of your note - I'm on my way converting our
>documentation to docbook
>format so we can produce PDFs with all the nice features that make for
>readable documentation
>(TOCs, cross refs with page numbers, footnotes, etc.).

>-Marshall

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia