you should be able to configure your velocity.properties as you would
with any other velocity application.  yours will look someting like

resource.loader=webapp,classpath
webapp.resource.loader.class=...WebappLoader
classpath.resource.loader.class=...ClasspathResourceLoader

and so on...

be sure to tell the VelocityViewServlet to use your custom
velocity.properties file by specifying its path in your init-params.