I too prefer a hot backup, if possible, for a number of reasons.

Another alternative (better than setting Enabled to 0, in my opinion) is
to use VCS to take the Oracle resource offline, and to freeze the
service group so that even if a FAULT occurs, it won't fail over while
you are trying to backup:

-----------------------------8<---------------------------------
SG=Aprd
ORA_RES=${SG}-oracle
LSNR_RES=${SG}-listener
SG_SYS=`hares -state ${ORA_RES} | grep ONLINE | awk '{print $3}'`

if [ -n "${SG_SYS}" ]
then

    # May need to take the Netlsnr resource offline too?
    hares -offline -ignoreparent ${LSNR_RES} -sys ${SG_SYS}
    # Wait for Oracle to go offline - this is very simple, a better
    # check may be required.
    LSNR_RES_STATE=""
    # If the resource never goes OFFLINE, this will wait indefinitely!
    while [ "${LSNR_RES_STATE}" != "OFFLINE" ]
    do
        sleep 10
        LSNR_RES_STATE=`hares -display ${LSNR_RES} -attribute State -sys
${SG_SYS} |\
                        tail -1 | awk '{print $4}'`
    done

    # Take the Oracle resource offline
    hares -offline -ignoreparent ${ORA_RES} -sys ${SG_SYS}
    # Wait for Oracle to go offline - this is very simple, a better
    # check may be required.
    ORA_RES_STATE=""
    # If the resource never goes OFFLINE, this will wait indefinitely!
    while [ "${ORA_RES_STATE}" != "OFFLINE" ]
    do
        sleep 10
        ORA_RES_STATE=`hares -display ${ORA_RES} -attribute State -sys
${SG_SYS} |\
                       tail -1 | awk '{print $4}'`
    done

    hagrp -freeze ${SG}
fi

#[ Do backup here ]

hagrp -unfreeze ${SG}
# Just in case something FAULTED!
hagrp -clear ${SG}
hares -online ${ORA_RES} -sys ${SG_SYS}
hares -online ${LSNR_RES} -sys ${SG_SYS}

WARNING: This is just untested sample code: don't use it without
thorough testing, no warranty is expressed or implied.

--
John S. Cronin
Cell phone: 678-480-6266