Actually, ZFS takes the concept of a journaled filesystem further. In effect,
it is a database used as a general purpose data store.  Leaving the underlying
volume-management functionality (similar to much of what is in VxVM 5, leaving
aside the question of the algorithm for RAID), the filesystem is different in
that it uses copy-on-write and transactions. Just as MySQL or Oracle et al do,
a transaction isn't committed until it is complete. Any incomplete transactions
are rolled back. The result is that you never need (nor is the operation
supported) an fsck on a ZFS filesystem.  A pool can become inconsistent at the
device level requiring a scrub (perhaps a device lost connectivity or outright
failed and was replaced) but this is a volume management function and is no
different in principle (details are of course different) from VxVM recover on a
RAID 1/5/10 volume.

BTW yes you can use ZFS on a VxVM volume. That is, you can add VxVM volumes as
devices in a zpool.
This is not recommended but it works. It can be useful in migrating part of
your data off of Vx -- e.g. older Filenet (< 4.12) require use of VxVM volumes
for the database. If you wanted, esp. in preparing an upgrade path to 4.12
which supports ZFS zvol, to move things around the network by using ZFS
snapshots with zfs send and zfs receive but your origination system has all
storage under VxVM control then you might well create a zpool from some VxVM
volumes and put ZFS filesystems on there for use by Oracle and for holding
binaries etc. all with local file copy. Then you move to your new host built
with ZFS by doing a ZFS snapshot send receive sequence.
While VxFS supports snapshots, I'm not aware of a mechanism to transmit that
across a network to another host where it gets auto-reconstructed.

I'm not real sure that there's anything to gain in a SAN environment by using
VxVM for the sake of the ASL but putting ZFS on top for production use. I am
open to suggestions and examples for this case.