I have replaced disks many of times in the situation of veritas I am
using but now I seem to have problems.  Went though the same steps as
before running 'vxdiskadm' # 4 then 5.  I also have to tell the scsi bus
to remove the device and I reinsert it with:

echo "scsi remove-single-device 1 0 17 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 1 0 17 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

So now I am at the point I have the new drive in, the OS can see it, I
can run fdisk on it but I can't get veritas to see/initialize it:

Select a disk device to enable [<disk>,list,q,?] sdi

   VxVM vxdisk ERROR V-5-1-531 Device sdi: online failed:
        Disk is not usable

   This disk device does not appear to be valid.  The disk may not have
   a valid or usuable partition table, the special device file for the
   disk may be missing or invalid, or the device may be turned-off or
   detached from the system.  This disk will be ignored.
   Output format: [Device_Name,Disk_Access_Name]

   [sdi,sdi]

Any ideas?

Thanks

~joel