Finally got this working.  I ran:

vxdisk rm sdi

I then ran fdisk and added a Sun label with the following:

Disk /dev/sdi (Sun disk label): 4 heads, 706 sectors, 50768 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2824 * 512 bytes

I then ran:

vxdctl enable

To rescan for any changes.  I was then able to initialize the disk and
then use it for replacement of the old one.  Shew, I'll have to remember
all this for next time.

Thanks for all the help.

~joel