Thanks for your responses, I think I've made a lot more sense of this
now.

Just a last one, I have a config.php file that is different on
development, staging and live versions and I want to be able to hide
or lock or ignore it so that my updates will not try to commit it,
even though my local copy is different. At the moment I have to
manually select all files one by one, missing out the config.php.

Any ideas?