OK i see. I think our issues are a little different, but svn:ignore
could be useful, I didnt know about that.

My repository submits to a live server with config details set for the
live web server, so if this is over-written by my working copy the
live site will stop working. Similarly, if I update my working copy
and upload to my development web server, my development server will
stop working (as the config.php details point to different databases,
etc.)

I think the best solution is to have the working copy the same as the
repository, make a copy of the config.php somewhere outside of the svn
and apply changes to upload to the webserver, that way the development
server works and there is no risk of over-writing the live config.php.

To make doubly sure, I have added a lock on the repository config.php,
so it should always give an error if someone tries to over-write.

That makes sense to me I think, is it good practice?