I won't say it couldn't be a useful feature, but I think the different nature of Versions makes this less of an issue. Since TortoiseSVN is primarily a context-menu-based tool, it makes sense to eliminate lots of file system "yo-yo" browsing. Since versions is an application, I find the easiest way to add as-yet unversioned contents of a directory is to toggle from "All" to "Changed". Anything that hasn't yet been added will show up with a question mark. (This works best if any modified resources have already been committed.) I do realize this involves command-clicking each entry and clicking Add, but it's a lot less work than filesystem browsing. Also, when adding files/ directories, I tend to err on the side of caution — I don't generally add everything that hasn't been yet, but instead specifically add what I want to add. Maybe that's different than your workflow, so the feature could still be more useful to you than to me.

 - Quinn