Hi Chris,

Regarding the collected information, I think you are referring to the
"Technical and Related Information" section of the license agreement.

There is a clause in there mentioning that we may not use the
information in a way that personally identifies you or your computer.
I understand that from a US legal perspective the whole of that
article might be construed ambiguiosly, to not clearly exclude Sofa
from being able and allowed to identify what repositories you are
working on.  From a Dutch legal perspective however there is always a
large criterion of reasonability that is applicable to any legal
disputes (that's one reason you won't find as many "and/or"s and
"including but not limited to"s in Dutch contracts in contrast to US
contracts), meaning that if we were to ever claim in court that the
EULA gives us the right to know what repositories someone's working
on, it would be highly unlikely for a judge to rule in our favor given
the intent and purpose of Versions.

That article is not intended to give us a free pass to spy on Versions
users and we would absolutely never do such a thing.  I'll try to work
in an amendment to the agreement in a future release that makes this
more explicit, as I'm sure that'll make more people feel more
comfortable when they click on the "Agree" button, although strictly
speaking there is no tangible legal need to do so.

This also brings me more or less to your next question, about
applicable law.  Given the difference in how legal concepts are
construed under different legislations (this difference is
particularly notable between Dutch and US law, not to speak of the
unique oddities of Californian law) changing the applicable law of our
EULA would mean we'd have to pretty much rewrite the whole thing.  It
would also mean that any conflict we may ever enter into would have to
be resolved in a Dutch court that has no expertise in US law, or on
(for us) the other side of the ocean.  Because one important purpose
of the EULA for us is to be able to protect our intellectual property
rights against possible infringers, such a change would be seriously
impractical for us; it would effictively make taking action against
such infringers too expensive to pursue in a lot of cases.  For those
reasons, we will not change under which legislation the EULA should be
construed.  I hope your legal department understands.

If you'd like to continue the conversation, please feel free to email
me directly at d...@madebysofa.com.  I doubt that many others on the
Versions group will find this topic insanely interesting. ;)

All the best,
- Dirk

the Versions team