The problem is almost certainly outside of Versions purview. Your
global-ignores list, which is not accessible from within Version (or any other
subversion GUI I know of) almost certainly includes *.a (that is true by
default on my machine anyway)

To check, go to the config file for your username for subversion In your home
directory:

~/.subversion/config (i.e. /Users/yourusername/.subverison/config)

Because the folder name starts with "." the folder .subverison is hidden.

It can be accessed most easily via the terminal (I use emacs, but you could use
vi, and you can do the same thing in TextWrangler, BBEdit, or any other GUI
that can see hidden files):

1) cd ~/.subversion

2) emacs config

1a) (or simply type: emacs ~/.subversion/config)

3) scroll down to line 94 or so (the exact line number may vary depending on
your OS version etc. for all I know). You should find a line that starts

        global-ignores

If this line is uncommented, then subversion will, by default ignore .a files.
This is true not just for Versions but for all interfaces for subversion by
default on Macs, so far as I know.

4) To enable subversion to see .a files simply remove the entry for

        *.a

from the global-ignores list and save. You may need to restart Versions or
simply hit Update to alert it to the change in the global-ignores list but this
should do the trick.

Cheers,

Rob