On Mon, April 30, 2012 13:10, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> On 28/04/12 11:48, Antonio wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>> I checked Veusz linear fit against a certified data set coming from NIST:
>> Statistical Reference Datasets http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/strd/ .
>> In particular,  the first one I used was the Norris dataset you could find
>> here:
>> http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/strd/lls/data/Norris.shtml .
>> Maybe I did something weird and stupid  but the line fit does not look like
>> the
>> data plot and coefficients are pretty different from certified ones.
>>
>> I checked the dataset against gnuplot, gnumeric, extrema, labplot, SSP, PSPP,
>> ... and the fit looks allright with them.
>
> Thanks - I didn't get the line to fit initially, but that appears to be
> because it doesn't have any uncertainties associated with it. Veusz
> assumes 5% errors if there are no uncertainties, which doesn't work in
> some cases with the minimisation procedure. Probably because the 5%
> errors give lots of weight to the values near zero. I haven't tested
> whether pyminuit does a better job (veusz supports this as an optional
> fitting module).

I loaded your test.vsz in a pyminuit build and get similar results to you:
the fit is very strange if I include the points near zero with relative error
bars,
but works fine using either the fixed uncertainties data set or if I just
exclude the
points with x < 1. So I agree that this is indeed related to the default
assumed 5%
uncertainty.

Regards,
-- BKS