Hi Carla,
  One thing to check is under the main settings for the xy widget,
towards the bottom, is the error bar style. It defaults to just a line
with no ends; you'll need to change it to something else for the end
size to matter.

If that doesn't fix your issue, could you post a file showing the problem?

Regards,
--BKS