Usually a small, size 20 Dai-Riki, (the Japanese flies are all sized
bigger) or an 18 Mustad.  The only time I fish them bigger than this
is during a calibaetis hatch on a lake.  It is a very easy tie, and
seems to work well in smaller sizes, especially in the fall when
nymphs tend to be smaller.

The way I tie it is much simpler than what you see in books, I believe
that wing-cases and legs probably diminish a fly's effectiveness,
especially in small sizes.  (Pull a small baetis nymph of a rock and
drop it in the water and watch, it just tucks in its legs and drifts.)

I use both scud hooks or regular nymph hooks.

One other thing I didn't mention:  I have been using a new (to me)
strike indicator called the "Thingamabobber".  The smallest size works
best, and has the least wind resistance when you cast.  It is
virtually unsinkable,  easily attached and slid to any position on the
line and is very visible on the water.  I feel like I am catching more
fish with it, it allows me to see subtle strikes.  I got mine at an
outdoor show, the manufacture's website is

www.westwaterproducts.com

It has become my favorite strike indicator, replacing the small,
sticky indicators that are pinched on the line.  I've tried every kind
of indicator, and this is far and away the best I have ever used.  I
don't know if Line's End carries them, if so, buy from Byard.

Tom