Count me in. Some friends & I have a tradition of a hit off a bottle of
Gentleman Jack when we catch a fish. We had to modify that after a 100 fish
day on Lake Taneycomo...

  _____

From: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Jimmy D. Moore
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:56 AM
To: Virtual Fly Box; Fly Fishing World; Hill Coountry Fly Fishers
Subject: [VFB] QUOTE FOR THE DAY - WHISKEY FISHING

I thought a little levity was in order for the day, since all we hear and
see is how bad things are.  Yep, I wrote this, so if you take issue with any
part of it or don't get even a tiny laugh, just E-mail me. . . . . . .  Oh
never mind.  Me, I don't give a damn.

Have a Good Un!

JIMMY D

" In my younger days, some of my buds and I played in a Twi-Light golf
tournament each Wednesday evening during the summer.  Entry fee was $10.
Cheap enough.  At each Tee Box was a garbage can of iced down  Lone Star
Beer.  Seemed that the more we drank, the better we played and whether or
not we won the pot, we didn't care.  Most of us got our $10 back in the beer
we drank. That was the most fun I ever had playing golf. I remember putting
out on the 18th with onlooker's cars parked in the grass and their
headlights shining on the green so we could see how to putt, those of us who
could still stand up. :-P

I'm sure we could work something similar with trout fishing and whiskey.  (
I chose whiskey instead of beer, since that's our stereotype image - pipe
smoking, fancy whiskey drinking, tweedy, hoite toite Abercrombie & Fitch
appearance.)  18 garbage cans of cold whiskey would be a little 'over the
top', so we could use small buckets filled with miniatures of our favorite
whiskeys, placing them in the cold water at the edge of selected pools,
riffles and runs. Total cost would be minimal as would the entry fee.  It
would be understood that we'd each down a bottle of our preference at each
placement of the whiskey. It'd be great fun and we wouldn't give a damn who
won or if we caught any trout. This being a whiskey drinking contest, fish
caught wouldn't count anyway. ;-)

Those still standing at the end would be declared the winner(s)  and would
receive a 'Texas Fifth' of McKendric Mesquite Mellowed whiskey - McKendric
Longhorn Creek or McKendric Western.   Each of us would probably need a
'designated caster' after downing dozen or so bottles. His job would also
entail keeping us from drowning and seeing us home safely.

Why would Abercrombie & Fitch types stoop so low as to enter an event like
this?  Why indeed?  Most folk of this type boast of how  much whiskey they
can drink and still be standing.  I think it's called PRIDE. In this case,
PRIDE BEFORE THE FALL ! :-P  My money would be on the bourbon drinkers,
since we're not quite as tweedy, and therefore tougher than the A&F bunch.

JIMMY D. MOORE    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

North Zone Fishing Editor - Texas Fish & Game Mag,

Author - Moon Holler Misfits Fishing & Hunting Club,

Humorist, Past VP Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited,

Member TOWA, Retired Scout Exec. BSA.