 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:34:16 -0500To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com;
flyfishingandflytyingforpanf...@yahoogroups.com; flyf...@lsv.uky.edufrom:
afi...@sbcglobal.netsubject: [VFB] Tying flies one-handed

In working with Project Healing Waters, which is an FFF  program to teach
disabled veterans how to tie flies and subsequently take them fishing (after
the water gets soft again), we found there were some 'students' who did not
have the use of both hands.  Think about it.  Tying flies one-handed is a
massive challenge, to say the least.

The most recent issue of Fly Fisher magazine (house organ of the Federation of
Fly Fishers), has an article on the "Evergreen Hand", developed by Jesse Scott
of the Evergreen Fly Fishing Club in Washington State.  It's featured by the
FFF Fly Tying Group at:
        http://www.davidlnelson.md/FFF_FlyTyingGroup/EvergreenHand_homepage.htm

Steve Burkett of our local club (the Indianapolis Fly Casters) made some
modifications to the unit found in the Fly Fisher article.   He then built four
of these systems, in both right-handed and left-handed versions.  His version
can be seen on the page above, on the "examples of modifications" page.

Steve and Cecil Guidry, a Past-President of our club, have made a movie and
posted it on YouTube showing the Evergreen Hand and how to tie a fly (Clouser
Minnow) using it.  (The movie is in 3 parts, since YouTube has a 10 minute/clip
limit.) The 3-part series shows Cecil Guidry tying and describing how to tie
the Clouser Minnow  using the system (Steve Burkett was manning the camera).
There is also a short "Introduction to the Evergreen Hand" by Steve.  This
short clip also appears at the start of both Parts 2 and 3 of the Clouser
series, so don't think you've clicked on the wrong links.

Enough of my blather.  If you want to see the Evergreen Hand in action, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Evergreen+hand&aq=f

A lot of hours have been put in by these two fellows getting this done in a
remarkably short time and they are to be congratulated for their dedication to
helping disabled vets.

What was really most heart-warming to me was watching Steve and Cecil work with
three disabled veterans at the Indianapolis VA hospital each of whom only had
the use of one hand.

A.--

Allan FishGreenwood, inafi...@sbcglobal.net