I, like many my age, grew up as a kid starting off with a bait-caster (if you
don't include the cane-pole).  For a right-hander, that meant casting with the
right and reeling with the right. Then push-button spinning reels came out
(Sears).  They could be set up either right or left hand.  I started with right
hand retrieve but ended up swapping to left hand retrieve to match the next
invention.

The next phase was the under-hung open-face spinning reel (Mitchell 300), right
hand on rod, left hand reel.  The manual flipping of the bail and multitudes of
casts made it more simple if the rod wasn't swapped every cast.  I used to
laugh at all the people who were so hard-wired that they flipped the open-face
reel over to the top position and reeled in backwards.  Anyone remember that?

Now transition that to flycasting.  First came the automatic reels.  Best leave
the rod in the casting hand so the pinkie was in play all the time on the
retreive lever, and the left hand is handling the slack line and/or reeling.
Now transition that to standard direct drive reels like we use today.  Cast
right, line manage with left, familiar underhung manual reel.  Line management
includes reeling in slack or fighting the fish from the reel, including
managing all of the slack line. This is identical to fishing with open-faced
spinning reels, so the brain doesn't have to make a swap.  The difference is
that the left hand managed the bail (at first) and reeled in.  Now, with auto
bail-flippers, the left hand has one thing less to do.  But the brain is
hard-wired now.

(I did have an intermediate phase in here.  My first 'fly rod' was a cane pole
fitted with a spinning reel (taped to the butt end) and clothes-line for
fly-line- casted much like a spey rod today.  Fishing for gills at 20 feet
didn't require tight loops, but I didn't know what that was anyway.  Wet flies
were made from pillow feathers and leader was my spinning mono. They fell apart
after one fish, maybe before, but the bare hook was put to good use with garden
hackle.)

I see no reason why one can't reel with either hand, provided he is comfortable
and well-practiced with swapping the rod after each cast.  I am so hard-wired
to reeling with the left hand that I feel awkward to the point of frustration
if I have to swap and reel right-handed.  Jerry G. can attest to that (borrowed
his right-hand reel in Florida).  I can cast with either hand proficiently, but
reeling is a left-handed proposition, but only with my fly rod and spinning
rods.  It had to have been learned and imprinted, as when I swap to a bait reel
or level-wind trolling rig (reel on top), I prefer to use my right hand to reel.

For long-long fights on salt-water gamefish- tuna, sails, marlin, etc., there
is no such thing as playing it off the slack line.  Getting slack fed out at 50
mph without hanging up is critical. But once the fish is in play on the reel
(clutch is all-important here), I'd like to try a reel that could accept a
quick-connect temporary handle on the right side (removed until hook-up).
During the hours-long battle, right-hand reeling would give the left-hand
fingers and arm a break for a while.  I do swap the rod to the left hand to
un-cramp the fingers of my right hand, but that is during the no-ground-gained
tug-of-war sessions.  My reel holds 700 yards of 30# test backing, and I've
been close to being spooled by sailfish.  Reeling in 300, 400, 500 yards of
backing as fast as possible (direct drive & reduced spool diameter) as the fish
turns and heads towards the boat wears out the forearm something fierce.  Then
it passes the boat and takes out that line again.  Repeat above...  many
times...

So I teach right-hand casting and left-hand retreive to students because that
is the most common set-up they'll find in guide-boat rods and other borrowed
and loaned gear.  But unlike me, it would be better to be able to do it either
way.  Like Jerry G.- he goes both ways.

My 2 cents