From: DonO <f...@tribcsp.com>
Subject: [VFB] Re: Left hand reel
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:46 AM

#yiv853676420 .hmmessage P {
PADDING-RIGHT:0px;PADDING-LEFT:0px;PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;MARGIN:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;}
#yiv853676420 {
FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Verdana;}

I, like many my age, grew up as a kid starting off with a
bait-caster (if you don't include the cane-pole).  For a
right-hander, that meant casting with the right and reeling with the right.
Then
push-button spinning reels came out (Sears).
They could be set up either right or left hand.  I started with right hand
retrieve but ended up swapping to left hand retrieve to match the next
invention.

The next phase was the under-hung open-face
spinning reel (Mitchell 300), right hand on rod, left hand reel.
The manual flipping of the bail and multitudes of casts made it more simple if
the rod wasn't swapped every cast.  I used to laugh at all the people who
were so hard-wired that they flipped the open-face reel over to the top
position
and reeled in backwards.  Anyone remember that?