From: markflie...@hotmail.com
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com; desert-tr...@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [VFB] Re: Braided nylon loop connector material?
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:48:20 -0600

for the list.......

Mike, i've always been told/taught, that it's best to NEVER let your leader
come inside the tiptop when landing fish. Personally i stick to
that..........no matter.......what. If i loose a fish because i can't get it
close enough to net........so be it........fish are like street
cars...........you miss one, you'll catch another. Gettin' a pic with that
monster is nothin' but an ego trip............who cares. i don't fish to
"catch".........there are way to many much more important reason to fish.
Fly fishin', most of all.........is so much MORE, about a myrid of things other
than catchin'.........most the time nowdays.....i don't even remember to attach
my net to my vest.........and if at all possible, i try to release all fish
without ever touchin' 'em, if i can. Occasionally, when i do take a (stocked)
fish to eat.....(NEVER a wild fish), i'll find a way to land 'em. Then, i'll
WACK 'em immediately.
Main thing i never wanna do, is get a "kink" or hard to straighten-out bend in
my leader.........those things can spook a fish in a second. When walking from
place to place on the river.....with your leader reeled up.........ALWAYS make
SURE you have some line inside the tip-top, and wrap your leader around the
reel bringing the fly up to the highest guide nessessary to accomplish this.
NEVER have your leader "bent" on the tip-top. VERY easy to do an instant
release and throw a QUICK cast that way as well. mark.....

> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:01:19 -1000
> Subject: [VFB] Re: Braided nylon loop connector material?
> From: flyfish...@gmail.com
> To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
>

> This is an interesting item. I use longer leaders for dry fly fishing
> and have little problems with them. I personally prefer something in
> the 9-11" (with tippet) for nymphing. It probably should make little
> difference but when landing a fish you have to get him to you so the
> connection between the flyline and the leader must pass through the
> guides no matter what the length of the leader - right? I am missing
> something here but can't visualize it. I need to get out and do some
> fishing.
>
> Mike
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Wes Wada <w...@wadaworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > I normally fish with 11' leaders.  That length allows me to net a fish
> > without bringing the line/leader connection through the tip top guide.
> >  Once that knot or loop is inside the guides, you have significantly
> > increased the odds you will lose the fish!  It just takes a momentary
> > hangup of the knot in the guides to break light tippets.
> >
> > I have found a product like Loon Knot-Sense (think it is called
> > something else these days) helps when you are knotting mono to the fly
> > line.  The product is molded around the knot so that the connection is
> > more smooth and streamlined.
> >
> > Wes
> >

> > Michael Bliss <flyfish...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  I would guess you have already done this.  Does it really go through
> >>  the guides - slick as snot? - whatever he said.  Try as I might the
> >>  knots when the leader connects to the fly line occasionally cause me
> >>  grief.
> >>
> >>  Mike

Quick access to your favorite MSN content and Windows Live with Internet
Explorer 8. Download FREE now!