Hi Mark and VFB!
Finally getting some time free to write about the evening on the Orvis / Old
Mill District fly-casting course. My friend Steve, who was a volunteer judge
at the competition last weekend, was happy to show me the ropes.  We had a
good talk and a fun evening.

First, about the competition.  Since this is the first fly-casting course
like this in the country, this was the very first competition.  It was just
a promotional event that had as one of its goals publicizing the existence
of the course.  Steve and Tim Rajeff and friends were the main "names" on
the pro end of the event.  A woman friend of Tim Rajeff won the woman's pro
competition (total of five participants). Top prize was a nice donated
canoe.

The volunteer judges got a $50 Orvis gift card per day that they helped out.
 The event lasted two days, with the amateurs competing over three holes the
first day.  If you ever won something at any kind of fly casting event
anywhere, you were considered a pro. Anyway, just an opportunity for people
to get together and have some fun as participants or observers.

The fly-casting course goes over 18-holes (fly casting stations).  Each
station is marked by a small permanent sign that also includes the
instructions to play the course.  You stand on a pie dish sized bronze Orvis
marker to do your casting.  Most of the events have anchored floating rings
in the water as targets, or masonry rings sunk into the ground.  There is
only one station where you cast into the river.

Each of the stations is quite beautiful to see.  The course winds around
both sides of the Deschutes River which floats through downtown Bend.
 There's an existing footbridge over the river on both ends of the
fly-casting course.  At one point you are walking through the Les Schwab
outdoor amphitheater.  Other places, people are enjoying outdoor dining as
you walk by on the pathway, fly rods in hand. The course is open to the
public and free of charge.

Just to give an idea, the first station is located across the quiet main
road from the Orvis store in the Old Mill District commercial/shopping area.
 There are two big pipes dumping water into a nice looking but compact pond
surrounded by reeds.  There's a park bench at the edge of the pond.  There
are three 3' diameter floating rings at about 25, 40 and 55 feet distance.

You are allowed on most holes a cast to the side of the target to test
distance.  At this station, depending on your Level 1, 2 or 3, you had to
roll cast a tuft of yarn at the end of your floating line and leader inside
the ring.  You count the number of casts before you successfully put the
yarn on or into the ring. Roll casts only were allowed since this is a
pedestrian area.

The second hole was also roll-casting, recommended from a kneeling position.
 Targets were 10, 18, and 24 feet away roughly, anchored in the outlet
stream from the first pond.  After completing those casts, counting
"strokes" you just swiveled and casted at three clustered targets underneath
a small footbridge.  If your fly hits the bridge before dropping into the
water, that counts as a cast.

One of my personal favorite targets was a Lefty Kreh deal.  About a five
foot wide bronze ring on top of a bronze pedestal, with the center of the
ring about head level.  Depending on your skill Level, you could cast from
say 30' to 50' away from the ring.  You need to throw a compact, flat and
well-directed loop to put the yarn through the ring.  Visually, this was a
real Lord of the Rings fantasy adventure.

One of the more difficult target rings was sunk into the ground on the back
side of a tree.  There was also a ring in front of the tree.  You needed
first to put the yarn into the ring in front, then the ring in back.  The
only way to hit the ring in back was to do an overpowered horizontal cast
that whips the yarn around the tree.

Lots of the holes were challenging because you had to deal with tree
branches, bushes, overhangs and such. I used to do a lot of small stream
fishing, and would have been much more accurate on this course if I had been
in stream casting form.  Most of my fishing these days is bank fishing on
stillwater.

One of the last holes was lots of fun, and anybody can set this up easily.
 You mark off a starting point, then as far away as you want (ours was 530')
put a ring on the ground.  Starting from the start marker, you make a
sequence of distance casts as far as you can throw them.  After each cast
lands, a helper can mark where the yarn lands.  From that point you make
your second distance cast, then mark where that yarn lands, and so on.  On
this particular course you have to go around a big tree to get to the
target. All the ground is well-maintained lawn.

One thing I was somewhat surprised by is that participants are allowed to
bring multiple rods.  On the distance casting hole, the big boys were using
8wt. to 10wt. rods.  (The one station where you cast into the river is best
done with Spey or switch rods).

Anyway I was casting a 5wt. Redington DFR 9 footer, my favorite all-around
rod.

I was in a rush getting to the fly-casting course due to an overlong
business meeting.  When I rigged up, I had a Monic clear floating line 6
wt., which is lighter than I intended to use for the course.  I would have
preferred a slightly heavier Cortland 444 6 wt. floater which would have
given me both better short line performance and casting distance.

I balled the the most recent cast, but at seven casts counted, was in range
of the target ring about 60' away.  And I nailed it, placing the yarn dead
center into the ring!  Steve said the big guys were making the hole in as
few as six casts with heavy rods and lines.  I was encouraged that I had
just used two more casts with a 5-wt.  One of the coolest things about the
distance event is that it's easy to figure out your average cast.  Mine came
out to 66 feet, even after screwing up one cast royally.  That's fun stuff
to know.

Anyway, looking at the above, really anybody can set up a course like this
with hula hoops or something, even as a one-day club event.  Really is fun,
and a great way to practice.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon