    From: Jimmy D. Moore
    To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
    Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:07 AM
    Subject: [VFB] Was: QUOTE FOR THE DAY, Now - what other non-fish and other
species do you fish for w/flyrod?

    OK, I'll start the thread.  Besides trout, I've fished for all kinds of
panfish, largemouth, smallmouth, guadalupe, and spotted bass, salt water blues
and speckled trout
    Yeah, and I've hooked a few tires, rods and reels, trotlines, etc. Caught
one cottonmouth and gave my boat to him, while I walked on water to get to the
bank. and lest I forget, there was that Owl I hooked on the Rayado, and the
young black bear who stole my tippet, fly and my big brown.   :-D

    JIMMY D

    Don Ordes wrote:

      "If all the trout in the world suddenly disappeared, I know a bunch of
folks who'd go right on with their fly tying as though nothing happened.  :-P "
 JimmyD

      Jimmy, this is a neat idea for a new thread.

      What non-fish (or very non-standard fish target) have you caught on a
fly, and what's the story?

      People who complain there's no neat threads about fly-fishing, here's
your chance.  If you don't have a personal account, look up internet stories on
strange creature fly-fishing encounters and post those.  It doesn't have to be
an intensional catch, even accidental counts.

      I can think of at least a half-dozen weird things I've caught on flies.

      1.  A bat.  About 20 yrs ago, fishing at dusk, I hung a fly up in a tree
branch, with the fly dangling over the river.  I was going to try to flick the
fly off the branch when a bat swooped down and hit the fly.  He foul-hooked in
his shoulder- mayby at the last second sensing the leader.  Little guy was
REALLY mad when I 'landed' him.  Safe C&R, though.