I was born and raised in Alabama. Born in 1958, joined the Air Force in 1975,
and served until 1981. I spent time in Texas, Illinois and Florida. Got out and
used my old GI bill to get an AS degree in Business management, then an AAS
degree in Welding Science. I welded for nearly 20  years as a certified welder
in anything from the shipyards in FL, to building new dumpsters, to working at
"FabArc steel" here in Bama and we'd build the beams up to 120ft long that went
all over the country to build sky scrapers. to having my own "portable welding
business" where if a farmer had a 1/4 million combine broken down in the field,
instead of him losing time and money bringing it to me or another welding shop,
I had everything on my truck to go to his equipment and fix it "in the field".
Had a blast and made good money till I lifted one too many heavy pieces of
steel and ruined some discs in my low back and in my neck. I also used to deep
sea fish out of Destin, FL to supplement my military income as you could catch
fish, and then sell them right there at the fish market as soon as the boat
docked. My Air Force paychecks were $142 per two weeks, and on some Saturdays,
On Capt. Ben Marler's "Her Majesty II" I'd make $100-200  on a 10 hour fishing
trip. That was good money cause Capt Marler didn't allow drinking on his boat
so you spent your day fishing, instead of untangling yourself from the drunks
lines  like on some of the other boats, like Capt. Anderson's in Panama City
Beach FL, which is also the first time I ever used an electric reel.  But, some
here, like Jimmy D and maybe others probably know how good the seafood platter
at the "Wharf" in Panama City Beach used to be, right there on the water. The
Gulf of Mexico has been soooo fished out over the years, my son in law went
down there a year or so ago, and he told me the daily creel limit on Red
Snapper was TWO fish per person. I was onboard "her Majesty II" in about 1978
when they set the then record of over 2100 pounds of snapper alone (not
counting the trigger fish, grouper and others) as well as one man who caught a
27 pound (I think it was) red snapper, which they said at the time was either a
world record, or a FL state record. I can't remember for sure.

I have been married for 26 years, have 5 kids and 4 grand kids.  I grew up
fishing with live minnows for crappie at night at the Coosa river not far from
here. We have some of the best crappie waters in the world right here and back
then, in the 60's and early 70's there was no "creel limit" on crappie I guess
cause my daddy, myself, his friend and my younger brother would catch and bring
home 300+ crappie on each Saturday night. I HATED Sundays cause myself and my
brother had to clean all those fish. Just started fly fishing about 6 years
ago, and tying about 5 years ago.(hard to believe it's been that long)  and
haven't picked up any of my spinning reels since except for maybe twice to do
some crappie fishing. Thanks to all the great help here, I can tie a fly that
will at least catch a fish. And when I started here those years ago, I didn't
know a vise from a bobbin LOL.. Those of you who remember when I started
remember that asking questions about fishing or tying is NOT one of my weak
points LOL.. Anyway, I'm pretty lucky as all my kids, my wife, and now my grand
kids ALL love to fish and most of them love to fly fish. Well, didn't  mean to
write a "book" here LOL, Chuck