Fishing related? Yes. Conversion kits are available, but I'd only have a multifuel set-up, so I could burn gas, propane, or CNG. Don't want to be halfway to my fishing hole and run out of CNG and not have a back-up.

DonO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Ordes" <f...@tribcsp.com>
To: <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: CNG - was Re: [VFB] WHERE IS EVERY BODY?

Chuck,

C = Compressed, as opposed to liquified.  Propane is liquified (by
refrigeraton) for containers (my job), and thus needs no compression, and
it's vapor pressure is within safe limits, depending on it purity, avg.
(about 188# pure) but with different amounts of ethane and methane the
pressure can be up in the 200's.  Compressed Natural Gas (CNG- mainly
methane gas, plus ethane and others) is still in the vapor state, but the
pressure is up to 3600 psi (less tha 1% of it's atmospheric volume) in order
to concentrate enough fuel into a cylinder to carry it around.  (Pure
methane's vapor pressure is 5000# at 100deg. F.)  CNG's energy per the
volume of the container is less than half of a liquified natural gas, such
as propane (the liquid propane is obviously much more dense and has a higher
BTU rating).

Use your BBQ pit for an example.  Propane makes the hottest flames due to
higher BTU value.
Changer over to home natural gas and you need bigger jets to get the same
heat- less BTU in natural gas.
Methane gas is the lightest (C1H4) and has the least btu value, so much more
of it must be used to have the same BTU.

For tow vehicles, the higher the btu rating the more energy is there for
work and thus more polution. The highest HP ratio fuel is diesel, then
gasoline, then butane (rarely used as fuel), then propane, then natural gas,
then methane gas.  So try to tow your gooseneck burning methane gas (fart
gas) and you're not going to get there very fast.

Offhand, I don't know of any local stores selling CNG.  I'll have to check
the web.  I don't know how comfortable I'd be carrying that bomb around with
me- propane is bad enough.

Looking for references of equivalent octane ratings for propane, ethane, and
methane fuels.  (Octane rating is not energy rating but anti-detonation
rating.)(Also not the same as the octane molecule C8H18.)

Don

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Alexander" <chuckalexan...@hughes.net>