  From: Jimmy D. Moore
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 4:49 PM
  Subject: Re: [VFB] Stripped screw remover tools

  Another method: Soak in penetrating oil first, then if  there's even a tiny
bit of the screw head left, take a phillips or regular screwdriver, whichever
fits and place it on the screw head, trying to line it up with the part of
screw head is remaining and tap fairly hard with a hammer. Sometimes you can
re-indent the screw head and screw it out. A side benefit of tapping is that
the screw just might be loosened a little.

  If you go the dremel tool route for loosening a flat head screw and don't
want to scar the surrounding area, make sure the cutting head is a little
smaller in diameter than is the diameter of the screw head. Then cut away. In
any event, spray the screw with penetrating oil first and let it soak about 5 -
10 minutes.

  JD

  scott.bear...@gmail.com wrote:

    Most of these tools are just a gimmick. Next time make a slurry with
Commet, or a scrubbing cleanser like it and paste that into the screw head.
Place as much downward pressure as you can manage, and if the screw head hasn't
already been completely rounded, it will come out. Works like a champ 99% of
the time as long as there is something left for the slurry and screw driver to
bite into.

    Scott

    On Jun 1, 2010 2:32am, Chuck Alexander <chuckalexan...@hughes.net> wrote:

    > Folks: I'm posting this to all these groups cause even
    > though it may sound off topic, it's really not, cause MANY ppl have to
deal with
    > rusted bolts, screws. etc. Any of us who have even done any mechanic work
know
    > what a life saver an Ez Out can be at times. So, I  started seeing
    > commercial lately for these tools that will extract stripped screws
instead. It
    > looked like magic on TV (like always) LOL... I got a set of three tools,
    > remove screws sized 1, sized 2, and sized 3. One end has a left handed
drill bit
    > thingy to ream out the hole. Them, the other end has a square, or
rectangular
    > "bit" that removes the stripped out screw. My son bought himself an old
Dodge
    > Ram 50 pickup, and the carburetor was flooding BAD and I needed to
rebuild it,
    > but it was like the screws were welded into place LOL.. What I ended up
doing
    > was to take my old trusty dremal tool, put in a 1" cutting wheel, and cut
out as
    > "slot" all the way across the head of the screws thus turning a Phillips
head
    > into  huge flat head. It worked and I was able to remove EVERY screw.
    >

    > So, if you are need of something like, save your money and
    > buy the dremal tool cut off wheels instead. NOW.. Since the carb is in
100
    > pieces, whether I get it all back together is anybody's bet LOL.. The
rebuilt
    > kit is supposed to be in Wednesday.If you hear LOUD cursing, that's just
me down
    > here in Bama, trying to get it back together LOL, Chuck

JIMMY D. MOORE, ARS WB5RHT,author Moon Holler Misfits
Fishing & Hunting Club, Member, TOWA, Past VP Guadalupe
River Trout Unlimited,   North Zone Fishing Editor Emeritus,
Texas Fish & Game Magazine, VFB & FFW Moderator, Scout
Exec. BSA, Retired, http://bigtroutman.tripod.com/index.html

13:25:00