From: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:vfb-m...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Don Ordes
Sent: June 26, 2010 11:50 AM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [VFB] QUOTE FOR THE DAY

My two cents:

His comment doesn't make any sense.

1.   He says "during the time period (past two decades) we have a
proliferation in new tying materials...".  This comment refers to materials
2.   But then he says "Truth to be told there seems to be little that is
truly new in the fly tying world."        Whereas this comment refers to fly
design or patterns.

See below for an example of tying a czech nymph by Davie McPhail. He
virtually does your rope dub technique but his attachment of the dubbing to
the hook is different to yours in that he does not anchor it first before
turning the dubbing araound the thread with his fingers....But he does hold
the bobbin and twist the dubbing around the thread in the same manner as DO.

        So which is it?  Since there are many new materials, like foam and
synthetics, there must also be new techniques for applying these to hooks.
There are new books, DVDs, PATTERNS, AND techniques.

Foam patterns are very productive, and it would be a stretch to say a foam
hopper is a "recycled variation or modification using new materials on an
old, forgotten fly."  That's rediculous.  Braided body materials have
sparked hundreds of new patterns.

I know tiers who feel this way.  They never create anything new, so they
refuse to see anything anyone else does as new.  They find the closest thing
to compare it to, and call it a variation of that.  It becomes a matter of
limited perspective rather than an actual fact.

I feel that I am a creative and innovative tier, but I rely on the biggest
names in the business for 2nd-hand verification of that.  I, on the other
hand, am continually amazed by the new things great tiers dream up.  The
level of artistry in realistic tying right now is incredible.  Check Paul
Whillock's site.

YES, there are many times when a tier THINKS he has a new fly, pattern,
technique, or material, and then can be shown something that makes his an
identical - even if not intentional.  The fly-tying industry right now is so
huge that one cannot research all of the patterns in the world before
claiming something is 'new'.  In many cases patterns resemble well-known
originals many decades old.  Others resemble later patterns that other tiers
have published that are not very well known.

The drive right now is to call everything you tie by your name.  Everyone
wants their name on the books.  Did 'Dave's Hopper' start all this?  I can't
remember too many flies earlier that had the tier's name.

This is where the problems start.  Who developed the coachman?  Are you
sure?  When did it become a royal coachman, a leadwing coachman, a fanwing
coachman, a then a (whoops) Royal Wulff?  If the original tier wrapped a
body in peacock, is every peacock fly a copy or variation of that fly?  If I
sub. peacock ice dub for peacock, is that still only a peacock variation?
What if I use black ice dub.  Is that just a variation  now, or is it a
black gnat?  Color changed it?  Why not the synthetic as a changer?  What
about a Royal Wulff with poly wings?  Is that still a Royal Wulff, since Lee
only made a change from white feather fanwings to white calf-tail to call it
a Royal Wulff?  Can I call my Winger Adams a 'Don's Adams' like Lee Wulff
changed the Royal Fanwing Coachman by just changing the wing material?
(Maybe there was a tier named Royal Fanwing. No Buggs, there wasn't.  And
nooo, we can't call a green Adams a Don's Adams-apple!)

I have had many 'amused' self-appointed masters approach my tying table tell
me that there's nothing new, especially in techniques.  And them I rope-dub
them a 20-second fly and change their minds.  And then I show them the
'Baits Hotel', and they learn what new thinking is all about.

Maybe some day someone will show and prove to me that the rope-dub technique
has been used by others.  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC2aO5X0IJA>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC2aO5X0IJA I checked for 8 years and no one
could produce anything.   I will then humbly admit that we share the same
technique. (It is not Polly's technique, which some mistakenly apply to it-
but I have his book, and it's not the same.)  I was definitely not taught it
and did not read about it, and no one else has seen or read about it either,
and no patterns exist that I have been able to find.  So if someone has
thought of it, they didn't extend it into all of the sub-techniques either.

So yes, it does sometimes happen that a fly pattern or technique has ben
done before.  But if one believes that NO pattern or technique is new, then
that person needs to get (his head) out and see a little more.

Off my soapbox...